Which foods should be avoided at all costs? You could be putting your teeth at an elevated risk of damage based on what you eat. Many foods can increase the rate at which dental erosion can occur, while some can cause oral accidents or injuries to occur, and others can be so acidic that they eat right through tooth enamel. For a detailed list of foods and habits to avoid, see the following:
– Avoid hard foods and candy, such as giant candy canes, lollipops, popcorn kernels, and popcorn balls, as they can effortlessly chip and crack teeth or easily become lodged between teeth.
– Some foods and drinks that have high acidity should never be eaten as snacks, such as citrus fruits and fruit drinks, but if you must consume them, include them as part of a larger meal to help neutralize their acids.
– Avoid or limit sticky and gummy sweets, as they can easily linger in your mouth long after consumption, vastly increasing your chances for plaque buildup and tooth decay to occur.
– Limit or avoid foods and drinks with excessive amounts of sugar and carbs, which can be converted in your mouth into harmful acids capable of eating through tooth enamel.
– Avoid sour candy, as it has an extremely high acidic content, with some brands having an acidity that is almost equal to car battery acid.
If you want to experience the joys of dental treatment at Gentle Dental Arts, simply call us at 801-224-1117 to schedule an appointment at our dentist office in Orem, Utah. Dr. Alexander Larsen and our team look forward to improving your smile.